Monday, October 11, 2010

First Class Contract with America

Opening Post Disclaimer: I have spoken to my lovely wife about this blog and she is fully on board with people relating to issues in their own lives through things that come up in ours. This came through clearly in a conversation we had recently when she said, “I read Jen Lancaster’s blog and she talks about her husband all the time. He must be a pretty cool guy to put up with that. Sure you can talk about me in your blog.” 
People always ask her how she puts up with me all the time. Needless to say she is a pretty cool guy.

And now on to the real business at hand.
This weekend I was confronted with one of the most difficult choices in my life. I had just spent a wild and crazy week in Orlando and by wild I mean working fifteen hour days and by crazy I mean sleeping less than six hours a night. The remainder of my days were spent somewhere in that confusing place between professional and personal time—drinks with colleagues and members.  lady-BONE had come down to Orlando on Friday for a separate meeting on her own, and we were able to spend a few hours together after both of our meetings were done. We went on a nice walk to a distant but real Starbucks (not that fake nonsense they pass off in hotel lobbies).  We had the usual, t-BONE a grande soy 140 degree pumpkin spice latte, Tracey a grande earl grey soy latte not too hot. We then lunched by the pool, read the paper and headed to the airport.
This is where the hardest decision part comes into play. Upon arriving at the airport, I was told that I had been upgraded to first class, one of the few remaining perks of regular business travel. I was then immediately informed that my wife had not. Oh Shit! Anyway, can she sit with me, I asked. Good luck making that happen the gate agent retorted.
I mean what you do in this situation? We are all aware of the Seinfeld episode but really in the end what did Jerry and Elaine solve that can be useful in the modern world? NADA!
So I thought to myself how do I figure this out? I know, I’ll poll Facebook. I mean the ability to have instant feedback from friends has to be useful in some situation right. How could it be better used than figuring out how to resolve the case of the one upgrade couple? Not surprisingly just about every response came from my female friends and family saying I needed to give lady-BONE the upgrade. This was not the answer I was looking for.
I was tired, I was sore, and god dammit I earned that upgrade. I spent nights alone in weird places, eating crap food at the airport, putting up with screaming babies (more posts to come on this topic for sure) and taking 5am cabs to the airport that smelled so bad of B.O. that I would have lost my breakfast if I would have had time to eat breakfast. And by the way, where were my Bros on this one? Seriously none of you could respond saying, take it man you earned the upgrade.
In the end I took the seat. I can make excuses like it wouldn’t be fair to the other first class passengers to have a rogue among them, but I won’t.  I’m not proud what I did, but I did it anyway. I needed to sleep, I needed to make sure that I had room to stretch out and quite frankly I wanted a couple free G&T’s.
I propose the First Class Contract with America, for couples in the same quandary. If we can all agree to this now it will only make our lives easier in the future.
If one member of the couple gets a free upgrade, the husband should not feel bad about taking it if a. the alternative option is a normal economy seat with limited leg room (does not apply to weirdo reverse height couples where the man is shorter than his lady or on American Airlines where coach has enough leg room for a normal heighted man) b. he has worked more than 60 hours that week (unless the wife has worked the same or more hours) c. he is in need of or recently received medical attention. In all other cases the wife should get the upgrade.  I have already promised my wife that next time I get an upgrade and we are flying together she gets dibs. After that the t-BONES are following this new contract. I advise adoption of the same before you get stuck in a similar situation.
Stay thirsty my friends.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a feminist and all, but I'm also from the South and personally: TSK TSK TBONE!!!! Not the gentlemanly thing to do. What would Don Draper do, T-Bone??? (Wait, don't answer that: he would have given his wife the upgrade and then boned the stewardess in the economy bathroom). I don't know, even if the gender was reversed, I'd have a hard time accepting an upgrade that my traveling partner didn't get. Karmically, when Tracey gets the upgrade it's gonna be on a flight to Australia or Taiwan or something. YOu may have just doomed yourself to a year of seats next to screaming babies. Good luck, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added your blog to the list of blogs I read regularly, you have been added. Lady Bone deserves everything she gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm going to break with the norm here, but as much as i loooooove first class, i don't need the legroom as much as the hubs. i would, however, need to see him beg and plead with the ticket counter for a good 5 minutes to get me up there with him. after that, i think a night of Glee without him complaining would make up for the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe she let you get away with this

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a woman in one of your aforementioned "weirdo reverse height couples," I would fully support my way shorter boyfriend taking the first class seat. He earned it. Alternatively, if I was given the upgrade, he has no right to bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new blog . When you get the tv/movie deal based on your blog I would like to be your business agent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happened to me once - I was upgraded and my husband wasn't - albeit to a section with business class seats but only economy service. It was a trans-Atlantic flight, so there was no way I was giving up a business class seat to be loyal. Instead I proposed we switch back and forwards. Seems a reasonable solution to me - share the seat. However, each time I went back to ask hubby if he'd like to have some time in the comfy chair he refused. Weird. I would never have refused if the roles were reversed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Melissa person is right on the money, I like her. I'm going to rant anyway, though, because things like this bug the crap out of me.

    Women can earn their own first class seats just like men can.

    If my girlfriend earned a first class seat and I didn't, and she was tired, I would not be in any way mad if she took the seat. She earned it and she wanted it. People would say that was nice of me and no one would think my girlfriend was being "selfish".

    However, had I requested that my girlfriend give me the seat, people's reaction would be that I need to man up and let her keep her earnings, and rightfully so.

    Now, for some reason, if you switch the genders and make it how your situation is, suddenly people think you're being "ungentlemanly", and it's totally acceptable for the woman to get mad at you for taking the seat, which YOU EARNED...

    People are fucking retarded.

    So let me get this straight... man earns seat: woman should have the seat. Woman earns seat: woman should have the seat. Either way, the man gets screwed over, and this is what we call "being a gentleman"?

    Okay, fine, let's give women everything all the time no matter what, because it's "gentlemanly"... but they'll have to give up their right to vote and the only professions available to them will be the astute positions of "Professional Sandwich-maker" or "Chief Fellatio-caretaker".

    LOL, HEY GUYS I WANT WOMEN TO BE TREATED EQUAL BUT I DON'T THINK WOMEN SHOULD BE DRAFTED INTO THE ARMY BECAUSE THEY HAVE VAGINAS AND VAGINAS ARE LESS BULLET PROOF THAN PENISES, LOLOLOLOLOL.

    I am 100% for equal rights for women, but "feminists" who claim that women should have "equal rights" by getting all of the positives and none of the negatives don't seem to understand that that isn't equal at all.

    All of these cries for chivalry should be what "feminists" are really ashamed of, as the very act of requesting such treatment is demeaning to women.

    A perfectly rational decision like the one you made should not be in any way scrutinized. The fact that you even felt the need to make this blog shows just how much pseudo-feminists have indoctrinated society into a mindset that is anything but equal.

    You have to take the good with the bad, you don't get everything for free just because you have a vagina.

    ReplyDelete